Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Bedroom developement

  1. #1
    Inactive Member digitalcomputer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    I am converting a basement family room/games room into two bedrooms. I have had the windows enlarged and am in the process of adding 2 interior walls to frame in two bedrooms and an office. The new code requires a AFCI breaker for the bedroom plugs. The question is, there are existing plugs on the exterior walls where the bedrooms are going, do I have to convert these to the AFCI circuit or can I leave them on the existing breaker

  2. #2
    Inactive Member jeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2004
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The best bet is to ask the inspection department (better yet the inspector that will look at you installation)in Calgary. I am not sure how they are enforcing the rule in Calgary. Here the rule was ammended in the Sask. supplementary rules, that all "NEW" bedroom receptacle circuits will have to be AFCI protected. So reading between the lines, if the circuit is existing and you are only adding to it then the AFCI protection will not be required. But please remember this is a safety device designed to protect you and your family/property. In a few years the AFCI's will probably be looked at like a smoke detector, (also the price will drop). Take a look at this web site it covers numerous code interpetations for Alberta. http://www3.gov.ab.ca/ma/ss/safety/electrical.cfm
    Electrical permits are a type of insurance and always peace of mind.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 08, 2004 09:56 PM: Message edited by: jeeper ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member neil seidner's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2003
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jeeper: I agree that the best thing to do is install the AFCI on the circuit and consider the installation safer as a result. But as far as your suggestion that it is not actually required by code, I have to disagree. The scope of the construction project is "building two bedrooms" not "building a wall"(window installations suggest this). It is not that the electrical code requires you to change an existing electrical installation to new code standards, but rather, you are not allowed to build a bedroom around "unacceptable" electrical equipment. As you suggested though, opinions and enforcement might vary on the subject, and contacting the electrical inspector would be a good idea. Thanks for mentioning the Sask amendments. Does anyone have any comments on local (in your jurisdiction)enforcement of the AFCI code rule?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member digitalcomputer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have checked with the city of Calgary electrical department and this is what I was informed. Since the space is existing and is being converted into bedrooms the AFCI breaker is not required on any plugs new or existing. If the developement was completly new then the AFCI would be required.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •